Friday, October 14, 2011

Thursday October 13th, PM

I have not been able to get in the stand as much as I would like because I have been coaching football in Hastings.  Well, tonight I decided to head out anyways after football. I did not get in stand until 5:45.  I headed to my parents place and went to the new stand that I am calling the "Creek Stand" because it is located next to the creek pinched between the creek and a corn field.  I really like this stand as it has a couple of scrapes in it and it showed a lot of promise with deer sign all over.  I also like it because I can shoot down into the creek, and I can shoot across the creek to a path that is next to the other corn field on the north side of the creek.  There are all kinds of options from this stand except that the stand is not in the best tree.  Because it is near the bed of the creek the trees are not the best and are not growing straight.  The straightest tree that I had to put my ladder stand in has a "Y" in it so I have to stand to get off most of my shots.  I am still in the process of figuring out something else, but for now, the stand is in and I can hunt.  Anways, like I said, I was in the stand at 5:45 and ten minutes later I had two Nubbin bucks walk out of the corn at 15 yards away.  At about 6:30 I had the 5 pointer that we have trail cam pictures come from the north east of me and walk to about 10 feet in front of me.  He knew something was up and turned around and walked away back into the creek bed woods where he came from.  He got to where I couldn't see him and he started blowing and then I heard him take off. I am not sure if he smelled me, or just was on alert and wanted to blow to let the deer in the vacinity know there was something that just wasn't right.  No video as it was too dark for the camera, I was bummed. That was it for me.

Totals: Taylor: 3 deer: 2 Nubbins: 1 Buck: 5 pointer

No comments: