Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday, October 29, 2011 am Romance

Saturday, October 29, 2011, Temp 30 degrees, Wind W 0-2 mph, mostly sunny, Sunrise 7:19 am, Hunting opens 6:49 am. Another short nights rest and Nate and I were back at it. I decided to go back up to Sherpa and Nate went to Everest. I thought a lot about the nice buck that I saw last night. It is not very often that you get at 135"+ deer to within 10 yards. I have my mind made up that if he shows up again, I will take him. I am a little pissed at myself this morning. I had some trouble finding my stand in the dark. I should have just used my GPS to get there. I guess that I got a bit cocky and thought that I would be able to walk right to it. Big mistake. I ended up walking right around it and worked up quite a lather. Thankfully, I brought an extra shirt and some scent wipes so I could clean up and descent. I was still up and all set up by 6:40 am. At 8:50 am, I looked down the hill to the south and I could see a big doe slowly working across the hill from west to east about 100 yards away through the brush. I bleated to her, but she never came my way. At 9:30 am, I had a small 4 pointer come off the hill behind me to the NW. He came down the hill to the SW. He stayed out about 75 yards. I tried to grunt him in, but he just headed over towards the Badger hole. At 9:50 am, I had a doe and fawn come through following the same trail as the buck, but they were going the opposite direction (going NE) as him. I checked in with Nate on the walkie talkie and he said that he grunted in a fork horn to 25 yards this morning. Pretty fun for him, but not the big boys were looking for. He also saw 3 does. From 10:00 to 11:00, Nate also saw a small spike at 50 yards. He was intimidated by the 6 point decoy. We sat until 11:00 am, then decided to head in for lunch. Totals: Bob - 4 deer, 1 buck. Nate - 5 deer, 2 bucks.

No comments: