Friday, October 16, 2009

Thursday, October 15, 2009 p.m.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 p.m., 41 degrees, mostly cloudy, rained/sleeted most of the day, wind E 3-5 mph, sunset 6:29 p.m. (Hunting closes 6:59 p.m). It is still pretty wet outside, with some light sprinkles, but I had to give the VAT a try. Because of the crummy weather, Heidi decided to take the night off. But with the action Taylor had last night, I just had to give the VAT another try. I decided to bring my little buddy "Stumpy" the small 6 point buck decoy along to see if he could draw the big boy out into the open. On the way in (I came in down the trail from the NW), I kicked a doe that must have been bedded on the hill side to the SE of the VAT. I was all settled in by 4:50 p.m. At 5:50 p.m., I looked to the north and a nubbin buck was coming down the trail into the food plot. He saw the decoy and stared at it for a while and wondered why he wasn't moving. He then calmed down and walked a fed out into the food plot. He fed in the middle of the food plot eating just the grasses and not the turnip leaves for at least 25 minutes. He then left the food plot on the same trail he came in on. That was it. Totals: 1 deer, 1 nubbin buck.

No comments: