Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday, October 18, 2009 p.m.


Sunday, October 18, 2009 p.m., 63 degrees, partly cloudy, wind S 20-25 mph, sunset 6:22 p.m. (Hunting closes 6:52 p.m). Tonight I had to try the other new stand. I went to the Dump, Heidi went to the point and Taylor wanted to try Spaghetti Junction. Of note, SJ is leaned up against a smaller box elder tree. On days where there are heavy winds, this stand should be avoided as Taylor was swaying around quite a bit. On the way in, when we got to the bottom of the hill, we kicked up a small buck that was bedded in the thick stuff to the south of the trail. We were all settled in, by 4:50 p.m. At 5:30 p.m., I looked down the hill to the NE and there was a nubbin buck about 10 yards to the south of Stubby. He couldn't figure out why he wasn't moving and he didn't smell like a deer (he was straight down wind of him). After a couple of minutes, he walked down the hill to the sugar shack food plot. At 6:00 p.m., I saw a deer about 100 yards away coming from the SE corner of the sugar shack food plot heading south east. It was running through the brush, and I couldn't get the binoculars up fast enough to see what it was. I think it was a doe. At 6:05 p.m., I heard a warning blow to the NW of me and turned around and saw three deer running to the south through the edge of the VAT food plot and towards the quarry on the neighbors. The wind had shifted slightly from the SE and maybe they smelled me. At 6:20 p.m., Taylor texted me and said he could see a deer up by fish bowl. I guess it ended up being a doe. At 6:35 p.m., I had a doe and 2 fawns come out of the corn (up by right field). They stopped about 75 yards to the east of me, and the fawns actually got on the nipple and drank some milk. They ended up feeding slowly down the hill to the sugar shack food plot. I got down and went to get the chop from the camera from the VAT. When I did, I ended up kicking some deer off of both food plots. I did get this nice buck 7-8 pointer (I don't think we have ever seen him before). Totals: Bob - 8 deer, 8 does; Taylor - 1 deer, 1 doe; Heidi - 0 deer.

No comments: