Sunday, November 9, 2008

Friday, November 7, 2008 p.m.

Friday, November 7, 2008 p.m., 40 degrees, mostly cloudy, light snow, but very wet and damp, wind S-SE 5 mph, sunset 4:55 p.m. (Hunting closes 5:25 p.m). I got done with my meeting this morning, after some lunch and a little work I decided to head out a little early for the final hunt of the early bow season. Steve made it out as well and decided to give the VAT a try. I decided that I should give the Ridgeback one more try. November 7th, will always be a special day for me. Back in 1993, I shot my first buck with a bow. It was a little basket rack 8 pointer on my grandfathers farm in central Wisconsin. I have be addicted ever since. To change things up a bit, I used some does in estrous on a drag rag a try. I started at the edge of the field, walked past the ladder, down past the X and over to the Ridgeback. I set up Stubby about 10 yards to the north of me and hung the drag rag on a tree next to him. I figured if anything picked up on that, they might head down the trail towards me. Also, Taylor was getting out a little later and decided to sneak into the ladder. At 2:20 p.m., two turkeys flew up from Arlie,s pasture and landed in a tree about 100 yards to the north of me. At 2:55 p.m., a doe ran from the feeder, past the X and down the valley towards the apple tree. Taylor may have scared her as he drove in. At 3:15 p.m., I looked to the north and saw a big deer cruising the ridge that Arlie's Nob sits on and it was headed east towards the Fish bowl/Apple tree stand. I tried some light rattling and grunting, but no luck. At 4:05 p.m., one doe and two fawns ran through with the mutant spike following them. The does spotted Stubby and didn't like what they saw and took off to the north towards the fishbowl. He is the weirdest looking spike ever. His left antler is growing sideways instead of up. He should be really cool if he makes it to next year. At 4:15 p.m., Rusty and one of his buddies decided to hang a stand and drive his ATV all along the fence line. That kind of screwed up Taylor and my hunting for the evening. Right before the end of shooting light, I heard a deer calling down the hill east of me. Unfortunately, I never saw what it was. Totals: Bob - 6 deer, 1 Buck, Taylor - 0 deer, Steve - 0 deer.

No comments: