Monday, November 23, 2009

Saturday, November 21, 2009 Wisconsin Gun Season















Saturday, November 21, 2009 a.m., 33 degrees, mostly sunny, wind 0 mph in morning then from NE at 5-10 mph, sunrise 7:07 a.m. (Hunting opens 6:37 a.m), sunset 4:29 p.m. (Hunting closes 4:59 p.m.) With all of the amazing pictures taken at Romance, I just had to head up there and give it a try. After staying the night at Copper with all the guys, I decided to drive up to Romance and hunt. I was in position at Octopussy by 6:00 a.m. I sat all day!! Lon went up the side hill S of the Blue bird field. Mike went to the Hog back. Dan goat prairie. Chris and Riley at Lon's gun fort. Jon tower to the North. Steve in Valley on new 20. At 6:40 a.m., I heard the first shot of the season. Throughout the rest of the morning I heard a few shots around me, but fairly far away. Then at 8:55 a.m., I heard a single shot that was pretty close to me to the north east. Right after the shot, I heard some deer moving, but I never saw anything. Finally, at 11:45 a.m., I saw my first deer. It was a medium size doe and she came down from the north along the edge of the corn 50 yards to the west of me. She came out across the opening and walked off to the south west. At 12:15 p.m., I had a doe with 2 fawns come down the hill from the north. They came to within 15 yards of me. I am sure that the Cuddeback got a picture with me in the back ground. When they got to the bottom of the draw, they went east and back up the valley. At 1:40 p.m., the exact thing that happened at 12:15 p.m. happened again. A different doe with 2 different fawns came off the hillside to the north of me. The big doe got to within 10 yards of my stand. The wind must have swirled a bit because she got nervous and walked off to the south east. At 1:50 p.m., 5 more does came off the hillside from the same direction. They must have sensed something because they all stayed back up the hill in the brush to the north east of me. It took an hour, but two of the original five does worked their way down the hill towards me and got to 40 yards away. Something must have spooked them (they were up wind of me), but the slowly worked their way uphill and out of sight. At 3:15 p.m., I looked up the hill to the north west and saw a small doe sneaking across going east about 100 yards up the hill. At 3:30 p.m.' I heard something behind me to the south west, I turned around in time to see a doe trotting down the old logging road 100 yards away going west. Totals: Bob - 12 deer, 12 does and fawns. Steve - 2 in am 1 buck and 1 doe), 11 in evening in back field west of me at Romance, Chris an Riley - 0 in am, 19 in hay bales at Romance, Lon - 0 in am, 1 doe from Twin Towers in pm, Dan - 0 in am, 9 does and fawns in pm, Mike - 0 deer all day, Jon - 0 deer all day (he did see a tail while walking in from morning hunt).

No comments: