Friday, November 13, 2009

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 All day Sit

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 a.m., 34 degrees, mostly sunny, wind NW 2-5 mph, sunrise 6:50 a.m. (Hunting opens 6:20 a.m). Sunset 4:49 p.m. (Hunting closes 5:19 p.n.) Well, we are back at it again. After a good nights rest (I was in bed by 8:45 p.m.), I was up again before my alarm went off at 4:25 a.m. I decided to give Octopussy another try. I was all set up with the scent wicks and with Stubby by 5:50 a.m. Lon was coming it later then me, and was going to set up at the other end of the field (but back up in the woods) from me. Lon said that he was going to go back to the house by 9:00 to meet with Mark the new handy man.
At 8:00 a.m., I did a short rattling sequence with the pack rack. As soon as I set it down, I heard a deer over to the NW. I hadn't realized it, but a doe had snuck in over by the edge of the cornfield. She didn't like the "fight" that had broken out, so she wagged her tail and slowly ate and worked her way up hill to the north.
At 8:20 a.m., I got down an went and double-checked to make sure I had missed that 7 pointer yesterday. In addition, I wanted to walk up the hill and drag a scent line from there back to my direction. I was right, no blood or body, just white belly hair. Right after I got back into my stand, I heard a buck growl again up the hill to the north of me. I growled back, and even tried a snort wheeze, but he wouldn't come down the hill to investigate.
At 10:50 a.m., Stubby got blown over by a gust of wind. I decided to take the opportunity to stand him back up and take a leak. I stood Stubby back up, and went over to the wash out to take a leak. I walked back to the stand and I used my grunt tube to make it sound like I was a buck on the move. I climbed in my stand and two minutes later I looked to the NE and there was a nice shooter buck coming. Unfortunately, he stayed to the east of me and back in the brush. The closest he got was 60 yards away. I think he was a nice 10 pointer. I was looking back into the shadows and staring into the sun, so I am not sure where he went. I am guessing up the hill back to the SE.
At 3:40 p.m., I could here a buck chasing a doe about 150 yards up the hill to the N- NE. I never saw them, but I listened to them for at least 60 minutes. I just prayed the doe would run my way.
At 4:45 p.m., I looked over my left shoulder and there was a big thick 10 pointer crossing the trail I came in on. He was 10 yards from Lon's pop up blind. He looked at my decoy and i grunted to him. He wanted nothing to do with it. He took off along the edge of the corn field going to the N-NE. The closest he got was 50-60 yards. He stopped on the hill after I grunted again to him (I had placed scent on the ground up there too. He wanted nothing to do with it. He kept going up the hill so I tried to snort wheeze and he just kept going.
Right as I was about to get down, I looked over my shoulder to the east and there was a small doe walking my way. She walked within 5 yards of the pop up blind. I got down and she left Totals: Bob - 4 deer, 2 bucks (both shooters) and 1 doe, Lon -

No comments: