Saturday, November 7, 2009

Friday, November 6, 2009 a.m.

Friday, November 6, 2009 a.m., 45 degrees, mostly sunny, wind W-NW 10-15 mph, sunrise 6:45 a.m. (Hunting opens 6:15 a.m). Well, I had to change things up a bit. This morning Heidi went to the Twin Towers, I was in Black Diamond, and Lon went to his gun fort. We were all settled in by 5:50 a.m. Lon called me from the house at 7:30 a.m. He said that while he was heading across on plateau road the Ranger died. He had just walked back to the house. He had to go up and get the pickup and trailer so we can load it up and take it in to get fixed. The shit continues. At 8:15 a.m., I heard something to the NW. I looked and a nice buck was working his way south. I got ready and on one knee. He stayed back in the brush. I was at full draw, but had forgot to turn on the camera. After holding my draw for a minute, I was shaking too bad. I was able to let down and press record. The wind started to swirl and he quickly stepped into my shooting lane. See attached video. I thought I had settled my pin, but I felt like I had to rush my shot because he was going to take off. I shot low. A clean miss. Shoot. The bad luck continues. After stepping it off and reviewing the tape there may have been a couple of problems. First, the shot was 28-30 yards. I guessed it at 24 yards. Secondly, I am pretty sure that I hit a corn stalk. There was one on the screen between me and the buck kind of covering the vitals. I think it may have deflected my arrow. Right after I shot, Heidi heard one in the corn to the north of her. It was probably the buck I shot at. At 9:05 a.m., Heidi had a single doe walk down the trail towards her turn to the left and went across the shooting lane to the right (south) of her. Lon sat in the corn crib lean up and saw a doe and fawn at 6:30 a.m. Totals: Bob - 1 deer, 1 buck, Heidi - 2 deer, 1 buck and 1 doe, Lon - 2 deer, 2 does/fawns.

No comments: