Friday, October 29, 2010

Thursday, October 28, 2010 pm - WACKO! 10 Pointer





Thursday, October 28, 2010 pm, Sunset: 6:08 p.m. Hunting closes: 6:38 Temp: 40 degrees, Wind: W-NW 10-20mph. Overcast. Mostly Cloudy. It killed me having to go back in this morning. The bucks are obviously moving. On my way in this morning, I saw a doe and a fawn crossing to the North about 60 yards away on the main trail. I knew something was up. Before I could even get an arrow nocked, a nice 3 1/2 year old 10 pointer stepped out. He was too far away anyways, but it was fun to see. I had to work all day on performance reviews, but I was able to shut things down at 3:00 for the evening hunt. I was back up in Everest and in position by 3:30. At 5:15, I looked over my left shoulder downhill to the SE and saw a small doe working her way up the hill towards me. She got to about 40 yards and the saw Harry. She walked right over to him. When she got about 5 yards from Harry, she couldn't smell anything and she spooked about 5 yards up the hill. Just then, I heard a buck grunt up the hill to the NE of me. Then I saw this beautiful 10 pointer about 50 yards away staring at the doe and Harry. She walked up the hill towards the big 10 pointer. He scent checked her and she was not ready. Then he turned his attention to Harry. He started walking across the hill towards him. Got some great video. He was 35 yards away uphill of me and I let him have it. At the shot, I was fairly confident that my arrow had flown true. He took off across the hill angling slightly uphill, then started angling back down. About a minute later I heard a loud crash in the valley. I looked at my watch and it was 5:25. I decided to get down, mark the spot where he was standing, and get out of there. After having a cocktail and some dinner, we all went out to look for him. It didn't take long to find some blood. It was pretty steady across the hill. He went about 80 yards across the hill, and the took a hard right and ran straight for the valley floor. He didn't make it. Total distance traveled was about 125 yards. I hit him perfect. He was slightly quartering away and I took out the front of the liver and a lung. We found both parts to the arrow the next day and figured it was about a 35 yard shot. Very pleased with this buck. Unfortunately, I didn't get the actual shot on video. I did get some video before the shot, but I accidentally shut off the camera when I was preparing for the shot. Oh well. Totals: Bob- 2 deer, 1 buck and 1 doe.

No comments: