Friday, October 29, 2010

Thursday, October 28, 2010 am

Thursday, October 28, 2010 am, Sunrise: 7:36 a.m. Opener: 7:06. Temp: 40degrees, Wind: W-NW18-22 mph, mostly cloudy. It has been raining, sleeting, and super windy the past several days. Hopefully the weather patterns will stabilize and the deer will really start moving. I drove down to Romance, WI last night to start an 11 day hunt (if necessary). I went to bed early and was up by 5:00. I had some breakfast and was out the door by 6:00. There were several deer eating as I drove up through the fields. On my way in, I had to walk around several big trees that had fallen over the road in the recent storm. It had all my gear along with Harry and it took me over a half hour to get up to the Everest stand and get settled in. I was all set and ready to go by 6:35. At 7:40, I heard a grunt to the west of me. I could see a deer (I think a doe) heading uphill to the north about 80 yards to the west of me. It was in the brush so it was tough to see exactly what it was. I did a couple of soft grunts and turned over my doe bleat can, but it was not interested. At 8:40, I did some scraping on the branches next to me with my quiver and arrows and some soft grunts. At 8:45, I looked over my shoulder to the SE and I saw him. What a absolute pig. He was about 80 yards away and through the brush. I made a couple of soft grunts and he started walking across and up my way. He got to about 45 yards away and stopped when he saw Harry. I did get some video of him, but it will probably be a bit blurry because I was shaking so bad. The bucks were in a stare down for over 10 minutes as I tried to hide behind the trunk of the tree. For some reason, he turned and started down the hill. I did a soft snort-wheeze and he didn't seem to like that because he just took off down the valley to the SE. I am so pissed. He was so close, yet so far away. That was it for the morning session. Totals: Bob - 2 deer, 1 Buck and 1 ?

No comments: