Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday, October 30, 2010 am

Saturday, October 30, 2010 am, Sunrise: 7:38 a.m. Opener: 7:18. Temp: 40degrees, Wind: N-NW 5-10 mph, partly cloudy. I'm excited to be back out after taking the day off yesterday while I tended to my buck. Theron, Taylor, Ken, and I cut him up last night. There was a ton of meat that was for sure. Taylor wanted to go to the "X" and I decided to head up to Right Field. I was in position by 6:50. I put Harry out in the field to the SE of me. I felt a bit naked up here as Elmer Pagel had done a bunch of trimming on the brush overhanging the field. I felt a bit naked up there, but I can now see a long way. At 7:20, I had a small 7-8 point buck sneak in behind me to the north of me. He walked right down the trail and down devil's ridge towards the Jolly Rodger. I tried to grunt him in so I could get some video but there was no such luck. At 7:35, Taylor texted me that he had a little 6 pointer come through. He did get some video, but it was a bit dark in the woods. He was bored, so he called to him and he came back to 10 yards away. A nubbin came in and he was chasing him around too. At 8:45, Taylor had a doe walk by coming from the ladder stand heading towards Ridgeback. About 15 minutes later a spike buck walked down the same trail that the doe went down. They bedded down near him. At 9:15, I looked over my shoulder and to the north and there was a small buck out on the point overlooking the food plot. He bedded down there for an hour. Taylor tested me at 9:45 and said there was a doe on the edge of the field to the SW of him. Meanwhile, I sat and watched this buck for a hour. He finally got up and started slowly moving towards me. I was able to shoot some video. When he got to the east of me he fed for about 10 minutes then decided to bed 20 yards from me. It was now 10:40. I started grunting, bleating, and snort wheezing and he would leave. He finally got up and walked back to the north and I shot some more video. He then went over the hill to the north. I started to pack up and he came back. I did some more calling but he would not leave. Finally, at 11:10b he left down the hill to the north. Totals: Bob - 2 deer, 2 bucks; Taylor - 5 deer, 2 bucks.

No comments: