Sunday, October 5, 2008

Saturday, October 4, 2008 am

Saturday, October 4, 2008 a.m., 42 degrees, mostly sunny, wind E 3-5 mph, sunrise 7:05 a.m. (Hunting opens 6:35 a.m). Well after a good nights rest, Steve and I decided to try our luck on the north side of the highway. Steve went to Lon's gun stand and I went to the north VAT. We were both settled in by 6:10 a.m. As I was climbing in, I kicked a couple of deer off of the neighbors clover field. At 6:55 a.m., a nice doe and a small buck 4-6 pointer came out into the neighbors clover field about 100 yards to the N of me. After about 5 minutes, they spooked and took off to the west. At 7:05 a.m., I figured out what spooked them. A small 5 pointer (see attached video clips) appeared to the NE of me. He decided to walk back and forth in front of me about 10 yards away. He finally walked by me about 10 yards to the north and went out into the clover. He eventually worked his way around me and did get down wind. I think he could smell something that he didn't like after about 5 minutes left to the NW. That was it for me. Steve had good luck as well, even though he never made it into the actual stand. Once he got to the tower, he realized that we had forgotten to put out the ladder. He was forced to sit at he bottom and it probably cost him a shot at a doe. He did see 4 deer and 6 tom turkeys, but unfortunately nothing presented a shot. Oh well. Totals: Bob: 3 Deer, 2 Bucks and 1 doe. Steve: 4 does

No comments: