Sunday, October 5, 2008

Friday, October 3, 2008 a.m.

Friday, October 3, 2008 p.m., 43 degrees, mostly sunny, wind SW 3-5 mph, sunrise 7:04 a.m. (Hunting opens 6:34 a.m). After a late hockey practice up in the cities, I knew that I was not going to be able to fall asleep. Therefore, I decided to get an early start on the weekend and drive down to Wisconsin to do a little hunting at Copper Creek. After a short nights rest (I got in a little before 1 a.m.), I got up and decided to give it a try from my bow stand below the rock out crop on the plateau south of the creek. My goal this weekend is to shoot a "lady" or two (Wisconsin is "earn-a-buck) so that I am ready for rut and the gun season next month. After I parked the Ranger at the bottom of the hill, I started to walk up the hill towards my stand. As I crested the hill, I kicked up a couple of deer that ran to the south. I got into my stand and was all settled in by 6:20 a.m. At 6:40 a.m., I heard a deer up the hill to the west of me walking down on the upper switchback. For some reason, it blew out a warning call and took off to the south. The only thing that I can figure is the temperature inversion screwed me and it got wind of me. Oh well. At 7:50 a.m., two hen turkeys walked by about 30 yards to the north of me heading west. At 8:15 a.m., I looked back towards the south and saw a tail of a deer on the trail near the ladder stand. By the time I turned around with the binoculars it was gone. That was it. I got down around 9:00 a.m. Totals: 1 deer

No comments: