Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 am

Wednesday, October 3, 2012. Sunrise: 7:13 am, Opener: 6:43 am, Temp: 43 degrees, Mostly Sunny, Wind: S-SW 5-10 mph. After a good nights sleep, I was up and out the door early. With a south wind, I knew that I wanted to give right field a try. I was all set up and in position by 6:15 am. It is hard to believe, but they had already started working at the quarry by 5:45 am. I can hardly wait until they get done over there. At 6:50 am, I saw a deer down in the corner to the east of me. I was only able to catch a quick glimpse, so I am not sure what it was. At 7:15 am, I heard something coming from behind me. It was two fawns and a mom. The mom has a broken front left leg and was limping. I would assume that she was hit by a car. The fawns ended up out front and up wind of me. I was hoping that she was going to step out in front of me so I could take her out. Unfortunately, she stayed behind me to the north and north east. I just couldn't get turned around with my safety harness to get a shot. When she finally started to move around to the north west, I slowly started to pivot. When I did, the stand let out a soft creak. That was it. She sensed something wasn't right and she trotted off to the north and then down to the north west. The two fawns followed her. Damn. So close. At 7:55 am, I the same nubbin buck come up the hill from the west on the trail I walked in on. He bedded down about 15 yards away to the west of me. He laid there for over an hour. I finally got tired and had to go in to get some work done. He finally got up and left when I was getting packed up to leave. He never saw me and left to the SW.  What a great action packed morning. Totals: Bob - 5 deer, 4 does and fawns and 1?

No comments: