Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday, October 27th, 2012 AM

Saturday, October 27, 2012 am, Sunrise: 7:34 am, Hunting opens: 7:04 am. Temperature 26 degrees, mostly sunny. Wind S-SW 5-10 mph.  I decided to try my luck at the Sherpa.  I was all set up by 6: 30 am.  It was a beautiful morning with very little wind to start.  At 8:10 am, I heard something coming across the hill from the east.  I grabbed my bow and picked up my binoculars.  It was a beautiful shooter buck about 40 yards across the hill from me.  I was hoping he would continue on the lower trail and would give me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot.  He kind of sensed something was wrong.  He finally wagged his tail, but turned and went up the hill.  He did stop at 34 yards and was broadside but in some brush.  I was hoping that he was going to step out.  Unfortunately, he had gotten downwind of me and smelled me.  That was it.  He blew and snorted as he worked his way up the hill to the NE.  I did get some video of him, but since he was locked in on me, it was tough to zoom all the way in on him.  I ended up sitting until 12:00 pm and then moved over to to Badger Hole.  I sat there until 1:30 pm and I got down to head in.  If the wind is right, I am going to give the creek bottom another try this afternoon.  I am planning on bringing "Hairy" the buck decoy with me.  Totals: Bob - 1 deer.  1 nice shooter buck.


No comments: