Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 p.m.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 pm, Sunset: 7:15 p.m. Hunting closes: 7:45 Temp: 73 degrees, Wind: N-NW 8-12 mph. Mostly sunny. I just got back from Des Moines, IA, and was able to get back in time for the evening hunt. It is a little warm, but I am pumped to be back out. A gorgeous night to sit. I went to the VAT and was settled by 5:05. At 5:15, I looked through the trees and spotted a small doe already feeding over in the Sugar Shack food plot. It was tough to see through all the foliage, but I assumed that she just stayed over there. Heidi got here in time to hunt too and she got ready by herself. She decided to give the Border Patrol stand a try. She was settled in by 5:20. At 5:45, I heard something and I looked over my right shoulder behind me, and there was a nubbin over by where I saw the bucks on Sunday night. It is pretty brushy over there. It is also right on the property line. I still may need to look for a place to build/put up a stand. At 6:00, I looked back behind me again and now there was a small 7 pointer back in the same spot. I think he bedded down back there. Come to find out, I am pretty sure that he is the same 7 pointer that I saw on opening morning from the ladder stand. At 6:15, I looked up the hill to the east of me and I could see a doe through the trees. At 6:55, I looked ahead to the NE and there were two small bucks fighting in the little strip of woods between the two food plots. I did get some video. Kind of far away. They did come closer, so I could get some better video. They were different then the 7 pointer that I saw earlier. At 7:20, two does came from the NE and fed into the food plot. They walked right down the middle on the strip and fed to within 2 yards. One stopped and smelled the ladder. At the same time Heidi texted me and said that she finally had a big doe come out to feed in the big food plot. Too bad she didn't have more action. Totals: Bob - 7 deer, 3 bucks; Heidi - 1 deer, 1 doe.

No comments: