Saturday, October 26, 2013

Saturday, October 26, 2013 am

Saturday, October 26, 2013 am. Sunrise: 7:41 am. Hunting opens: 7:11 am. Temperature: 43 degrees. Mostly sunny. Wind: N-NW 20-30 mph. I decided to switch it up and head to Romance. I hiked up to the top (total bitch) and I am sitting on the West Point portable stand. I was all set up by 6:45 am. At 10:00 am, I got down and decided to relocate. It was do windy up on the Ridgetop. I wish that I had done it earlier, since when I arrived at Sherpa, the wind was minimal. I imaging the bucks were running lower off the hillside this morning because of the strong wind. I will need to remember to hunt lower when the wind is so strong. At 11:30 am, I decided it was time for lunch. I had just finished eating my sandwich and some cookies and I heard a twig snap up behind me. I turned and saw a nice mature buck 8+ points, thick, bit not real wide crossing the hillside from west to east. He stayed above me and never came any closer then 40 yards. When he was 60 yards to the NE of me, he stopped to rake a tree. I looked across the hillside and below him was another buck. He was also an 8+ pointer. This buck was wider, but not as thick. I did not very good video of this buck.  You can see his body in the last clip of the video, but can't see his rack.  They had a stare down about 15 yards apart. Both bucks ended up heading to the east towards Everest. Damn. It was close. I tried calling them back with some grunting, a snort wheeze and some rattling, but they were not interested. I did get some amateur video as I was trying to see how big they were through my binoculars. I ended up getting down around 12:15 pm. Attached are four photos of the nice mature buck I saw this morning.  I think he is a nie pointer with a kicker off his right G2.

Totals: Bob 2 deer, 2 bucks.

No comments: