Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bucks-a-plenty!

Saturday evening, perfect, light north wind at 5 mph, temp 57 degrees and the bucks were on the move. I settled into my stand, (Heather's stand), not sure we have hunted out of it this year. We have talked about the ridgeback stand, this stand is 75 yards north of it and with the North wind and the main trail to my north it set up perfect. I was in the stand at 5:00 PM and within minutes of my arrival a small button buck approached and passed to my north at 10 yards max. I have some video, still trying to get it on here as my camera doesn't want to cooperate. Around 5:45 a doe passed to the north and shortly after that another buck appeared due east about 80 yards away. Then around 6:00 PM a nice 8 pointer fed to the NE and gave me a small window of opportunity, but Bob and I discussed it and we decided to let him walk no matter how many times he presents us a shot, one more year and he will book for sure. This buck kept looking to the East and sure enough a nice heavy 8 pointer came in and made a rub on a tree then chased the smaller 8 across the trail to the north. The bigger 8 then approached the other deer and began to spar with him. I was ready to pull the bow on the bigger 8 but he never gave me the chance. Both bucks fed 30 yards away from me in the small saplings and I could never get a good clean shot, they both disappeared towards Arlie's Knob and that is where Bob was heading tonight. Before I got out of the stand a small 6 passed to my south about 45 yards away and headed to the corn. So as the title states, Bucks-a-plenty for sure. It was a spectacular action packed evening. I think the cool temps and shorter days are getting these guys moving, next weekend they should be coming to antlers pretty good.

No comments: