Sunday, October 28, 2007

10-28-07 WACKO!!







10-28-07 PM, Temp 52 degrees, Wind from S/SW, Mostly sunny, Sunset 6:08 pm, (Hunting close 6:38 pm) Well what can I say. It has been a rough week with work and school. I was actually in Denver and then Austin, TX for the weekend for school. Unfortunately, there was no hunting. It was great to get home and get out tonight. I decided to go to Arlie's Knob and arrived at the stand at 3:15 pm. I had my buck decoy for the first time this year, and it was a good move. (more later) I did get a few photos on the trail camera that I will post on another blog. I kick up a deer as I came over the hill (not sure what it was) and it ran to the north. Things were really quite for the first part of the evening and then things got good. Nate got out late and decided to go to the Jolly Roger and got settled in about 4:45 pm. I guess he kicked up a doe on the way in that was near the border patrol. At 5:00 pm, he saw a doe on the hill to the east on the neighbors property. At 5:10 he saw a good buck chasing as fawn near the border patrol stand, unfortunately for him, it never came into range. That was all Nate saw for the evening. At 5:45, I looked to my south and saw a nice 10 pointer working my way. He saw the decoy and was not happy that a small 6 pointer was in "his" territory. He worked his way towards me and stopped about 25 yards away and made a scrape as he angerly looked at the intruder. After a couple of tense minutes, he turned and walked up the hill towards the NW. I had a nice quartering away shot at about 20 yards and decided to take it. After the shot, he spun 180 degrees and ran straight down the hill. I saw him fall within sight after a short 50 yards sprint. I was able to get look at him through my binoculars and he expired fairly quickly. Absolutely awesome. It is a long video, so it may take a while to get this posted. Nevertheless, I do have some still a short video before the shot and some still photos of the magnificent animal. He is a 10 pointer, with a small 3/4 kicker on the base of his main beam (not quite enough to make him a 11 pointer) and he has a 17 1/2" spread. Good mass to the rack and a big bodied mature deer. I would guess him to dress at about 200 lbs and probably as 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old buck. I will be off to Wisconsin on Friday and hope to have as good of luck down there. Hopefully some more posts, so say tuned. Totals: Bob1 deer, 1 buck; Nate 3 deer 2 does, and 1 buck. Buckslayer OUT.





















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nate this is Ty from church and the website looks great! I am jealous that you are getting out so much and it looks like you are seeing a few! It looks like you guys are having a great year though. I saw my first buck of the year the other day as it jumped out in front of the combine but it helped me get the fever back!! haha Have a great week and good luck!