Monday, September 17, 2007

September 17, 2007

I have to admit, this work is really getting in the way of my passion of hunting whitetails with a bow. I was unable to hunt this morning, so I had to settle for this afternoon. I am still ahead of pace of having more trips to the stand then days in a hunting season (5 trips and 3 days into into the season).This afternoon was 80 degrees, overcast, wind from SE at about 15 mph. I decided to go to the apple tree stand, which proved to be a wise choice. I have to admit, I had a first tonight, the guys actually had me surrounded. More about that later.

I didn't get into my stand until 5:45 pm (work). At about 6:30 a nice tom with a 10" beard and two jakes came through about 75 yards to my east. At 7:00, two does came in and fed underneath my stand. About 7:15 a doe and fawn came through heading to the corn/beans to the west. At 7:30, I was surrounded. The first video is of a 2 1/2 year old eight pointer at about 10 yards to the north. As you can see, I had to turn on the "night vision" during the take to get a good look at his rack. I guess his spread to be about 13"-14." Next, I had a nice buck come thru about 35 yards away and captured a quick video of him (not quite sure how big he is). Right after him, was this 3rd buck, tough to see again, but appears to be a twin of buck # 2. About 5 minutes after that, there was a fourth buck to my SE about 40 yards out and it was too dark to take any video. Sorry about that. So to recount...at one time I had the 8 pointer to my west (behind me), I had buck # 2 to the north of me (left), buck # 3 to the east of me (front) and buck #4 to the SE (right). I guess that is what you call surrounded in a good way.

What a great night. Totals - 8 deer total 4 bucks and 4 does/fawns. Hoepfully more tomorrow night.

Buckslayer Out

1 comment:

Aiden's Blog said...

Pretty sweet stuff tonight. You going out early in the AM?