Sunday, September 16, 2007

Morning September 16th

Sunrise was at 6:20 am. Wind was from the South at 5 mph. Temp 54 degrees. Got to stand about 5:55 am. I did kick a couple of deer up on the way to the ladder stand north of the house. After settling in 1 doe came through when it was still dark about 10 yards to the north. About 7:30 am a doe and fawn came by and hung around for about 15-20 minutes. At 7:45 I did see a small fork horn about 30 yards to the south that went east down the hill.
At 8:00 am things started getting interesting. Coming from the north was this nice 10 pointer. (see attached video). I had him at 10 yards and was videoing him using my new camera. It is the second day of the season, so I really didn't want the season to be over so quickly. That, and I turned the camera on but forgot to hit record. By the time I realized that I forgot to hit record, he started to move off. When he turned, I made my decision that I probably should have shot. You can see, I get to full draw, but would have had to rush to get the shot off. Oh well, he should be awesome if he makes it to next year. I may be kicking myself come December is the freezer is still empty.
Climbed down at 9:00 am, and I didn't know it but he and some does had bedded down about 100 yards behind me. A doe saw me, and took off with 3 others, and he decided to follow. I am quite sure that he never saw me. At least I hope so. Totals: 2 bucks, 6 does/fawns

2 comments:

Aiden's Blog said...

Whacko!

Anonymous said...

Dude,

What were you thinking? I expected something like this out of Lon perhaps, but not you. I can only chalk it up to you being out of practice and with a long season ahead of you.

Your Bro