Thursday, September 27, 2012

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 pm

Wednesday, September 26, 2012. Sunset: 7:06 pm, Closes: 7:36 pm, Temp: 66 degrees, mostly sunny, Wind: N-NW 3-5 mph.  I was down in the stump food plot today preparing the area that had not gotten planted this Spring because of the floods. I was able to get it all turned over, so it should be good next Spring. Because I was down there with the tractor, I decided to give the VAT a try.  I was in position by 5:00 pm. I had not been sitting for more than 5 minutes, when the same nubbin we have been seeing came running towards me from the SW. He must have been bedded down by the tree that the old VAT was in. I am guessing he watched me climb into the stand and get set up, then it was time for him to take off. He ran to 20 yards to the south of me and just stood there. Then over the next 10 minutes he slowly crossed the creek and disappeared to the south. He was not really spooked at all. Pretty fun to see.  At 7:10 pm, I saw the small 3 point mutant buck. He came in from the west and stayed to the south of the old VAT tree. At 7:15 pm, the small nubbin buck came back. He entered the food plot to the west of me and stayed and ate clover, oats, turnips and brassica till dark. Brave little guy.  I will say he is one fat nubbin.  He will be really nice if he can make it to next year or the year after.  Good genetics and a great appetite.  Totals: Bob: 3 deer, 1 buck

No comments: