Monday, November 8, 2010

Saturday November 6th, 2010 AM

Saturday November 6th, 2010 AM

This was the gun opener in Minnesota. I was excited for this day as I had a buddy hunting with me over at my parents place near the White Rock area. The last time that I hunted this land was four years ago and I did not shoot anything off of this property. I did shoot a nice doe 5 years ago though. We worked the weekend before on building a permanent stand that we call "Watch Tower". This stand is located closer to the top of the valley and we also put a stand in at the bottom of the valley that I call "The Alps". It is located on top of a ridge and you can see over both sides to two other ridges. It also makes you feel like you are way up in the air when really, it is probably only about 15 feet tops. My buddy, Theran Busse got to my house early and we went out and had a great breakfast that my dad cooked up! My dad was excited as nobody had hunted out there for four years. We were in the stand a half hour before shooting light. Just after light Busse had two deer come off the hill and circle him at about 50 yards. He didn't want to shoot as it was still a little dark and he did not want to shoot a small buck. The new rule in our zone is the buck has to have at least 4 points on one side. Shortly after that he had a little three point buck walk directly under his stand, in the words of Busse, "I could have spit on him!" I also was having good luck at this time as I had a four point, possible six, couldn't see if it had brow tines, walk at about 40 yards from me. I decided to continue with the bow even during gun season. I couldn't get very good video as he was in the thick brush above me. About 20 minutes later I had a small three pointer that had broke off one of its antlers come in from below me. His back right leg was injured and I couldn't tell if he had been shot or had a previous injury. I hope he hadn't been shot because he was not a legal buck. He limped into the thick brush and bedded down and stayed there until I got out of the stand at about 10:45 when I spooked him back up. Totals: Theran: 3 deer: 2 possible does: 1 buck; Taylor: 2 deer: 2 bucks

Fawnslayer out


The Watch Tower stand at my parents. What do you think?


No comments: