Friday, November 12, 2010

November 12th, 2010 PM

Doe Wacko!

I came from work and got into the stand a little later than I wanted. I was all settled in by 4. I went to the VAT stand again tonight really hoping that I would have a doe come in. (Obviously also wanting a nice buck to show up too!) I had nothing until 4:45 when I had a nubbin buck walk in on the other side of the food plot. Just behind him was his mama! I was excited but she looked kind of small. They fed in the plot for about 10 minutes and then walked straight to me. The nubbin went through my shooting lane first and then the doe. I still hadn't fully decided if I wanted to shoot her. After she got all the way through the lane I said to myself, "what are you thinking?!?! That is a great doe, shoot it if you get the chance." Well, luckily she gave me a shot. I grunted and she stopped and I shot her at about 20 yards. I shot just above her shoulder and she dropped in her tracks. I thought I hit her spine, but I later found out I was about 5 inches below her spine. I actually ended up getting down and finishing her off from the ground. I was pretty excited as this was my first doe with a bow and my third deer overall.

Meat for the freezer! And a little doe management. Overall, a successful hour in the stand!

Fawnslayer Out!


No comments: