Monday, November 22, 2010

Saturday, November 20, 2010 - "Moose is Dead"




Saturday, November 20, 2010 pm, Sunrise: 7:08 a.m. Hunting opens: 6:38 a.m. Temp: 31 degrees, Wind: N-NE 5-10 mph. Partly Cloudy. I stayed the night with the hunting crew down at Copper Creek. I got up at 4:00 am, because I wanted to get up and go hunt at Romance. I made breakfast and packed a lunch as I intended on sitting all day up at "Everest." I left Copper at 5:00 a.m. and got up to Romance around 5:30 a.m. I parked my car at the edge of the front field, loaded up my gear and headed in. It is about a 1/4 -1/2 mile walk back to the stand. I bumped one deer on my way in in the woods along the field. I kicked up 4 more when I got near "Octopussy." I was all settled into "Everest" by 6:00 a.m. At 7:20, I had a small 6 pointer come from the SE and walked up the hill about 100 yards to the east of me. I tried to grunt him in for fun, but he just kept walking up the hill. At 7:35, I looked to the east of me and saw a deer. I knew immediately, it was a buck. I could see antlers through my binoculars, but I couldn't tell how big he was because he was in the brush. He stayed frozen staring in my direction for close to 5 minutes, before he started walking up the hill to the NW. Just then, I heard something above me. I looked up there, and there were 4 does about 50-75 yards up the hill to the north of me. The were nervous either because they saw me or the buck that was walking there way. I turned my attention back to the buck and I then got a good look at his left side. It was "Moose." I immediately knew that I wanted to take him. I was on a course for the does and the old logging road above me. I was able to pick out a small opening on the road with my binoculars and I put them down and shouldered my rifle. I took off my safety and as soon as his head and shoulder hit the opening I shot. He dropped in his tracks. I hit him right through the front shoulder and took out the top of the heart. He kicked for a few seconds and then it was quiet. I waited for about 10 minutes, unloaded my gun and lowered it to the ground. I reloaded just in case and walked up to see him. There was no ground shrinkage. He has 8 points on his left side and 4 on his right. Amazing girth to the palmation on his left antler. See attached. I dressed him and then dragged him downhill to Octopussy. It was a pain in the but carrying all my gear, a rifle and dragging him. Once i got him to the bottom of the hill, I walked back and got my truck. I drove it in and loaded him up by myself. That was a complete pain in the ass! After about a 15 minute struggle, I was able to get him in the truck. I was exhausted. I took him back to the house to show Sue and then took him into register. I then drove him back to Copper creek to show the boys. I was in a bar stool, beer in hand by 11:30 to watch the rest of the Badger football game. What a great day. I am truly blessed. I hope you are all having an equally productive hunting season. Hopefully, I will get a chance to do a little more hunting in Minnesota. The only problem is I am out of freezer space. I guess that is a good problem to have. Totals: Bob - 6 deer, 2 Bucks and 4 Does. Buck Slayer - OUT!

No comments: