Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thursday, October 23, 2014 pm

Thursday, October 23, 2014 pm. Sunset: 6:10 pm. Hunting closes: 6:40 pm. Temperature: 52 degrees. Mostly cloudy. Wind: S-SE 3-5. It rained most of the day today. I took off work for a solid 5 day hunt. Nate flew in from Oklahoma, and I picked him up around 11:45. Thankfully, all of his gear made it. Since we were short on time, we decided to hunt Romance. Nate grabbed a quick shower and we were off. Nate went to the front lower portable stand above fort curve and I went to Sherpa. It didn't take long. I had just climbed in, pulled up my bow,and was getting set up, when I heard footsteps and a loud grunt to the NE. First I saw the for come out. Then I saw the big 9 pointer. I think he has to be related to Captain Hook. I had not even gotten on my release or nocked an arrow, but was able to do so.  He never came any closer then 40 yards, but he stayed in the brush. He ended up heading back to the NE. At 4:45 pm, I heard more foot steps and another grunt up behind me to the NW. A big fat doe ran down behind me to about 10 yards. Unfortunately, I could not get turned around to see the buck. She walked off to the west towards Nate, and I never did see or hear the buck again. At 5:45 pm, I heard another grunt behind me to the NE. I saw a deer run off to the east. At 5:50 pm, I heard deer running down below me and heard a deer chasing and grunting moving from west to east. I never did see the deer again. That was it for me. Nate had 2 does and a small mutant 3 pointer come through at 10 yards away. He also saw a die skirt the field edge below him. Totals:  Bob 4 deer. 2 bucks and 2 does and maybe more. Nate: 4 deer. 1 buck and 3 does. 

No comments: