Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday, November 7, 2012. Sunset: 4:48 pm. Hunting closes: 5:18 pm. Temperature: 42 degrees. Partly cloudy. Wind: N-NW 3-5 mph. I drove down this morning from Minnesota and arrived at Romance around 11:00 am. I checked the weather, made a sandwich and grabbed a quick shower. I was all set up in the creek bottom Box elder stand by 11:45 am. I dragged in a scent line and set up "Hairy" about 10 yards to the NW of me in the trail. I am excited to be back out as today celebrates my 20th year of bow hunting. I shot my first buck with a bow 20 years ago today in Marquette county in central Wisconsin. I have been addicted ever since them. It was a nice day, and I hopped to catch a big boy cruising the willows in the creek bottom looking for a receptive doe. We will just have to wait and see. I was a little upset as my parents neighbor to the west was doing some chainsaw work to the west of me about 200 yards on the other side of the creek. He was only there for about 30 minutes before he shut it down which was nice. Then he came back and I watched him put up a pop up blind right underneath the tree that he had been cutting on. It is too bad since this now takes away the skit to the west with a rifle. At 12:25 pm, I heard some noise to the SE of me. It was a deer that was trotting through the swamp grass, but it was too thick to see what it was. Unfortunately, it never came out and showed itself. At 3:05 pm, I had a doe come down the trail from the south. She got to within 20 yards of Hairy and stopped. She stood there for a minute staring at him. She finally stomped her foot and turned around and went back towards the south. She went 50 yards and turned in towards the west on one of the trails through the willows. That was the last that I saw of her. At 3:40 pm, I looked behind me to the NE and saw a doe coming along the edge of the ford towards me. She was being followed by 3 more does. They got to within 35 yards when they finally spotted Hairy. They did not like what they saw and they all took off back to the E-NE. Totals: Bob - 5 deer, 5 does.

No comments: