Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 pm


Tuesday, November 13, 2012 pm. Sunset 4:35 pm. Hunting closes: 5:05 pm. Temperature 34 degrees. Wind: S-SE 5-10 mph. Mostly sunny. I got back down to Wisconsin at 11:00 am. I just had a feeling that the farm at Copper Creek had the potential to pay off. I ended up at Dan's ladder stand off the north side of birch point. Lon was kind enough to drop me off up top and when I was getting dressed up top a nubbin came out of the field and watched us. I laid a scent line from the west and climbed up into the stand. It didn't take long. All of a sudden all hell broke lose. I had a doe being chased by three smaller bucks coming from the NE and going to the south about 100 yards to the east of me. Five minutes later a doe, with 3 shooter bucks came flying through in the same area. They crested the hill and ran around on the opposite side of the hill to the south of me. Two minutes later they all came back over the hill. They got to within 25 yards but it was complete chaos. I tried to find the biggest one, but they all took off in seconds after the doe back to the NE. I did get some video. Five minutes later a doe came from the west of me and a a small 8 pointer was following her. He came through the shooting lane to the north of me, but he was too small. Wow!! An absolute incredible experience. At 2:00 pm, I heard something behind me to the SW. It was a really nice 3 1/2 year old 9-10 pointer. He was south of me but I got some video of him but had to video all around the tree in order to get him. I ended up turning a complete 360. When I got to the other side, I determined that he was worth shooting if he presented a good shot. He was 30 yards to the west if me, but he was quartering away. I decided. That's I would let him go. He then turned and came to the NW of me and was heading towards my shooting lane at 15 yards. I quickly changed my mind and determined he was worth taking. I drew before he got to the shooting lane nd stopped him as he was walking through. I settled my pin and let him have it. It felt like I hit him great vertically, but was a bit further back than I wanted. I still heard ribs as the arrow went through him. I was sure of a lung/ liver. I sat until 2:30 pm, and then snuck down to see if I could find my arrow. I was able to find it right away and it looked really good. I got out of there to the south and walked down around circle road and up to the new house. I met mom and then called dad on the Walkie talkies. We determined that he should keep hunting till 4:00 pm, them get down to come help me. We got up top at 4:10 pm. We found blood right away and did not have much trouble following it across the hill to the NW. At about 200 yards he bedded down. He must have not been down very long as he got up and started bleeding again right away. He ended up on the logging road again and crossed it to the west. He went around the hill to the south. We were running out of light ad Lon went back up to get the ATV. He drove it down the hill to meet us and brought along the lantern. Thank God. I went back after him to the south. He bedded down again on the west facing slope. He got up again and continued to the south. I ended up losing blood after close to 500 yards. Frustrating. I will be back at it looking for him in the morning. Stay tuned. Buckslayer out. Totals: Bob- 11 deer, 8 bucks and 3 does. 4 shooter bucks.

No comments: