Thursday, November 10, 2011

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 pm Romance, WI


Wednesday, November 10, 2011, Temp 36 degrees, Wind S-SW 5-10 mph, partly cloudy, Sunset 4:55 pm, Hunting closes 5:25 pm. We got rained out this morning. Ugly. Lon had hit a big buck in the creek bottom last night and we ended up following it for over 800 yards. I think that he only got 1 lung. Lots of blood initially, but it ended up drying up. We went out at 7:00 and 5 of us looked for 3 hours, but no luck. It was pretty much a body search since the rain had washed away any blood that was out there. Too bad. Since Lon had so much luck in the creek bottom the night before, I decided to try the same approach. I went down on the hillside to the east of the house. I cut some shooting lanes and sat on a bucket on a little finger. At 4:30, there was a small buck and a doe out in the field west of the pond 300+ yards away. At 5:05 pm, I saw a buck between me and the house. I did some grunting and he turned and came my way. I turned to get in position, and I heard some to the SE of me. A huge 8 pointer was walking across the hillside 25 yards away broadside. It was getting pretty dark and I did know if I had and opening for a shot. I figured he was going to come off the hill and head towards the other buck. I also had some scent down in front in the direction he was heading. Instead, he turned and came right towards me. He must have wanted to see what the noise was on the hill, before heading out to the field. I came to full draw on him quartering towards me at 6 yards. No shot. He sensed something, turned and ran away towards the SW. I was sick. I did get some awesome video. He ended up joining 2 other bucks, now 4 in the field about 75 yards away. Our friend John Score did end up connecting down at Copper Creek at the Goat Prairie stand on a beautiful 8 pointer with a 21" inside spread. A awesome 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old deer. Totals: Bob - 6 deer, 5 bucks. Lon - 0 deer, John - 1 deer, 1 buck, Steve - 2 deer, 2 bucks down at Copper Creek behind the barns.

No comments: