Saturday, November 2, 2019

Friday, November 1, 2019 pm.

Friday, November 1, 2019 pm Sunset 5:54 pm Hunting closes 6:24 pm. Temperature 32 degrees. Cloudy. Misting/sprinkling Wind: SW 5-10 mph. I drove down to Copper Creek to try and get an late afternoon hunt. I was hoping to get into my stand by 3:30, but I didn’t get out until 4:15 pm. The creek bottom was still so wet that I had to cross the river using the upper bridge and then drive along the high road to the blue bird field and up the valley. I went to the new double ladder that Steve and Mike hung down off of third point. I got into the stand and took some quick ranges using my range finder. It didn’t take long. Two minutes later I had a medium sized doe come from the SW and she crossed the road about 45 yards from me. She slowly worked her way across the hill side below me heading towards the NE. A couple of minutes later, I looked back to the SW and there was a nice buck coming across the hill following the does path, but he was about 35 yards away. I got a quick look at him through my binocs and decided he was a shooter. I quickly turned on my brand new Tactacam. Before he stepped on the road, I drew my bow. When he was on the road he took a few steps towards me and then he turned back to the NE. I waited for him to move his front leg forward. He did that and stopped. I knew this was going to be my best opportunity, so I let him have it. He was about 32 yards. I saw my arrow fly true, and I felt like it was going to be a double lung shot. After the shot, he took off back towards the W-SW across the hill. The whole hunt lasted 7 minutes. I got down and headed in. We waited 3 hours and Steve and I went to look for him. I figured it was going to be a challenge finding blood because of the rain and because the arrow was still in him when he took off. We had lanterns and headlights and we slowly walked across the hill we walked about 85 yards and Steve saw him laying there dead. I was super pumped as it was a double lung humane kill shot. He is an 8 pointer with a 17” spread. I would guess he is a 3 1/2 year old buck. There was some ground shrinkage, but I and still pleased to have connected on a nice animal. We got him dressed out and dragged down suicide hill down to the hog back stand and walked back up to get the ATV and Mule. Totals: 2 deer, 1 doe and 1 buck. 


No comments: