Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 19, 2011 pm - Wacko "Crows Foot"







Monday, September 19, 2011, Temp 70 degrees temp dropped to 58 degrees at close. Wind NW 3 mph, Sunset 7:04 pm, Hunting closes 7:34 pm. I had an office day with a bunch of conference calls. The last of which finished at 4:40 pm. The Apple tree has been hot with activity, so I decided to try my luck there. I didn't get into my stand until 4:50 pm. Still should be a good sit. I am not really expecting any activity until around 7:00 pm. Taylor came out to sit in the ladder stand. He didn't get in until 6:00 pm. He kicked up a decent sized buck on his way to the stand. It ran up towards the NW. At 6:15 pm, I looked to the south and 100 yards away was a doe and fawn. They stayed out in the field for a few minutes about 30 yards from the stump and then walked back towards the SW. At 6:35 pm, Taylor texted and told me that he had a spike in front of him. He forgot his video camera, so he used his cell phone to take some video. At 6:45, I had a different doe and fawn (nubbin) come in from the south. They both were right under the stand eating walnuts. I have to fly out tomorrow afternoon otherwise I would have taken the bigger doe. It would have been an easy shot. At 7:05 pm., I looked to the SW and 100 yards away was the big 12 pointer with the triple brow tines. At that time, I thought that needed to be in the creek stand or border patrol to have gotten a shot. At the same time, Taylor texted and told me that he had a doe nearby that he could have shot. Crazy enough at 7:15, I saw him over by the road that goes to the big bridge. He must have went past BP and crossed the bridge. He then slowly walked past the Stump blind and started walking up towards the Apple tree. I got some great video. He got to within 25 yards and he took a hard right to the north and into the thick brush. For about 10 minutes as light was fading fast, I could hear him eating apples under the tree. I was not sure if he was going to go to the north or back to the SW. Finally after 10 anxious minutes he stepped out at 14 yards. I drew, looked for my pin (it was tough to see with 2 minutes before the end of shooting time) and I released my arrow. It felt like a perfect shot as the arrow nearly took him off his feet. The arrow was stuck in the ground with the luminock lit up. He crashed off to the east down the hill, I heard him cross the creek and then I heard a loud splash (listen closely to the video and you can hear him crash and die in the creek). I quietly got down, put down a glow stick where the arrow was, grabbed it and headed for the shack. After all the boys arrive, we grabbed our lights, the ATV, the sled, and went out to look. It didn't take long. Ken Pagel found the blood trail and it was pretty quick. He went about 60 yards and died in the creek. We pulled him out, dressed him, took some photos and dragged him back to the shack. That is when the celebration begun. Totals: Bob: 5 deer, 1 Buck dead. Taylor, 2 deer, 1 buck.

BUCKSLAYER STRIKES AGAIN!

No comments: