Sunday, September 18, 2011

Friday, September 16, 2011 Bear Hunt - WI

Friday, September 16, 2011, Temp 35-49 degrees, Wind N-NE, Sunset 7:03 pm, Hunting closes 7:33 pm. Today I thought there was no sense lounging around the cabin. I figured u can't shoot a bear unless you are in the woods. After a light breakfast with some coffee, I thought that I would do my best "Haag" imitation and try sneaking into the stand early. I was all settled in by 9:00 am. Unfortunately, the bait had not been hit since Haag's encounter yesterday morning. I only intended on staying till noon n then heading in for lunch and then come back out in the afternoon. As I was sitting there, I figured that I might as well stay all day. I texted Eric and asked him to bring me some lunch and to freshen up the bait sometime in the early afternoon. Eric delivered a pork chop sandwich, an apple, granola bar, venison stick, and a bottled water at 2:45. We talked briefly, I stretched my legs, he freshened the bait and I settled back in. At 3:45, I heard something move behind me. I was excited. I turned slowly and saw 2 does about 40 yards away in the brush. They ended up getting wind of me, snorted and took off. Oh well. Still entertaining. Only thing to report. 10 1/2 hours in a stand and one sore butt. I guess it will be good training for the rut. Of note a rifle hunter named Russ from Michigan shot a big sow on another piece of property about 15 miles away towards Phillips. It was about 260-280 lbs. 3 of 5 hunters have now tagged out. Totals: 0 bear.

No comments: