Saturday, November 3, 2018

Friday, November 2, 2018. All day sit.

Friday  November 2, 2018 pm Sunrise 7:35 am. Hunting opens 7:05 am. Sunset 5:54 pm. Hunting closes 6:24 pm. Temperature 36-54 degrees. Mostly sunny Wind: E-NE 3-5 mph. I decided to head back up to QDM. I was ready to go by 6:55 am. At 9:00 am, the neighbor drove his ATV in and parked about 200 yards away. He must have overslept. I had enough and at 9:30, I got down and moved to the ladder out on 2nd point. I didn’t like the set up out there, so I decided to get down and move over to Dan’s gun stand. On my way back to the ATV I kick up 3 does on the road I walked in on which were walking towards me. I get back to the ATV and the neighbor is sitting in a stand 30 yards from where I parked the ATV. Idiot!  So I drive back to the first point and park. I am walking in to a new stand and I kick up the massive 10 that was bedded within 30 yards of the waterhole ladder stand. He runs straight over to where that guy is sitting. I should have never gotten out of bed this morning.  I finally got settled in at 11:30 am. Finally at 12:00 pm, I got some action. I saw a nice little 1.5 year old 6 pointer down the hill below me to the SE. I grunted him straight up to me. He walked within 5 yards of the ladder stand I was in. Too small to shoot but fun to see. He went up the hill behind me and even got downwind, but he never spooked. At 12:35 pm, I looked to me right to the SE, and there was a small 1.5 year old 6 pointer walking   down the road. He walked right down the road and checked a few scrapes and licked some branches. He stopped and smelled the estrus moose and kept walking right past my stand at 3-4 yards. He had no idea that I was there. He kept walking down the road to the NW and around the corner. At 1:40 pm, I heard running deer below me in the valley. I was able to catch a glimpse of a nice mutate buck chasing a doe. I think it was the same 10 pointer I keep seeing. They were 150 yards down the hill from me to the north. I tried grunting hoping hay would come up the hill. At 4:20 pm, I had a big shooter buck come across the hill below me on the road going from NW to SE. I tried to grunt and rattle him up to me, but he just wouldn’t come up the hill. At 4:55 pm, there was crashing, chasing and hunting below me. I just couldn’t get him to come up.  Finally at 6:10 pm, I heard a bunch of chasing and grunting below me. I got out my grunt tube and the buck roar and kept calling hoping to bring them my way. At 6:20 pm, they finally came up the hill to 10 yards to the SE of me. The doe got to 10 yards to the south of me and took off to the south. The buck stopped on the road at 10 yards. It was too dark to see my pins and get off an ethical shot. The buck spun around and followed her to the south. Exciting. So close. Totals. 6 deer. 4 bucks. 

No comments: