Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday, November 1, 2013 all day

Friday, November 1, 2013 am. Sunrise: 7:41 am. Hunting opens: 7:11 am. Temperature: 44 degrees. Mostly cloudy. Misting in the am. Wind: W-NW 5-10 mph. I drove down to Wisconsin last night as Charley was getting ready for bed. I got  up this morning and decided to give Everest a shot. I brought "Harry" my 1 antlered buck decoy with me this morning. I had him set up about 15 yards away to the NW facing towards me. I was all set and ready to go by 6:45 am. Nothing to report in the am. I sat until 12:20 pm and the I got down to check the cameras and to take a conference call at 1:00 pm. I was able to take care of everything by 1:30 pm, so I turned around and headed back out to Everest. I was all set up again by 2:00 pm. Sunset: 5:56 pm. Hunting closes: 6:26 pm. It didn't take long. At 2:15 pm, I did a grunting sequence. At 2:25 pm, a beautiful mature 8-9 point buck came off the top to the N-NE of me. He came down the hill and got as close as 35 yards, but my shot was obstructed by brush. Unfortunately, I was not able to get any video of him. He headed down the hill to the SE towards Octopussy. I tried grunting and snort wheezing him but he never came in. I am not sure he ever even saw the decoy. Damn. Very close. At 2:35 pm, I looked up the hill in the same direction as before and there was another mature buck about 75 yards up the hill on the old logging road. I grunted to him several times. After about 10 minutes he decided to come down and investigate. He walked across the hill to the N-NW of me about 50 yards away. I am sure he saw the decoy. The wind must have shifted as he sensed something wasn't right and went back up the hill to the north. He was smaller then the first buck, but a nice 2 1/2-3 1/2 year old with potential. I did get some video of him. At 4:40 pm, I looked down the hill to the SE and could see a buck about 50 yards down the hill. He was cutting across the hill going from east to west. I tried to get his attention, but he continued down towards the Octopussy stand. I saw him go right fown the trail. He must have walked by our camera. I am not sure how big his rack was, but he appeared to be a mature buck. That was it. Overall, a great day. Totals: Bob - 3 deer, 3 bucks. All mature animals

1 comment:

Big Ungy said...

The final 30 minutes of Friday night was action packed in Minnesota as well. Hunting from the VAT I saw 7 deer. Four does and two fawns came down the hook at about 6:10pm. They got behind me which was terrible with the NW wind. They spooked quickly and left from whence they came. With about 5 minutes left a nice buck stepped out. Looked like a shorter 8 point that was either old or injured. He was limping pretty good but never got within 45 yards. Grunted and bleated without success. He was on a mission that didn't include nonsense behind him. Total 7 deer, 4 does, 2 fawns, 1 buck. Beautiful night!