Saturday, October 8, 2016

Saturday, October 8, 2016 pm

Saturday, October 8,  2016 pm  Sunset: 6:38 pm. Hunting closes: 7:08 pm. Temperature: 45 degrees. Mostly sunny. Wind: N-NW 3-5 mph. With a cold front moving through, I felt like I had to get out. I don't want to ruin my best stands, so I decided to just hunt the ladder stand. I was in and all set up by 4:25 pm. Bring in such a hurry and excited to get out, I forgot my back pack. No butt pad and no Oxonics. Oh well. Five minutes after getting settled in, Gertie came running through paying me s visit. I texted Heidi and asked her to call Gertie in. At 5:25, I looked back to the NW and a small 1 point came through at 15 yards going east. Behind him was a nubbin buck. The mutant spike walked off to the NE, and the nubbin hung around for 20 minutes. He got so close that he was actually smelling the ladder stand I was in.  Crazy. So much for needing the Ozonics. At 5:50 pm, a group of about 15-20 turkeys came from the west behind me. They kind of circled me to the SW. At 6:05 pm, I had a medium sized doe sneak in behind me from the SW. She got to within 8 yards of me but she was downwind and she would have seen me draw. Damn. So close. At 6:25 pm, I heard something coming up the trail from the east. Two fawns came down the trail and walked right underneath me. They went off to the SW. At 6:35 pm, the nubbin came back back from the south. He ran down the trail, stopped and rubbed his nubs on a tree that has been rubbed about 8 yards from the tree stand. Pretty cool. Totals: 5 deer. 1 small mutant buck.

No comments: