Thursday, September 1, 2016

Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 12:00 pm.  I was working from home this day.  It was just before noon when Heidi (who was working from home as well) said that she was going to go upstairs and take a shower.  A few minutes later, she shouted down that there was a deer that was laying down behind the house about 50 yards down the hill to the NE.  I grabbed my binoculars and ran upstairs.  When I got there, I could clearly see it was a buck laying on its side.  I got dressed and walked down to see how long it had been there. When, I got closer, I could clearly see a open wound high on his back but below the spine. I walked up behind it, and I was about ready to kick it, when it lifted his head and started thrashing.  I jumped back as it scare the sh_t ou of me.  It was too fatigued to be able to stand up.  I ran back up to the house and grabbed my bow.  I ran down to him and he just looked at me.  His eyes pretty much said, "please end this."  I did with one clean arrow.  I put my bow tag on him, even though it was not how I wanted to use it.  Also, it was a deer that really needed another year to grow.  I gutted him out and dragged him back to the shack with the ATV.  After we skinned him out, I could clearly see that it was an old arrow wound.  I lost about 4-6" of his one tenderloin, other wise the meat was just fine.  Crazy day at the office.  Picture attached.

No comments: