Monday, September 21, 2015

Saturday, September 19, 2015 pm Minnesota opener









I drove through the night back from CO, so I missed opening morning. After being gone, it was Heidi's turn to hunt. She decided to head out at 5:00 for the Ladder Stand. It didn't take long. At 5:15, she had 3 does and fawn behind her to the SW. They ended up walking directly in front of the stand to the NE and Heidi decided to try and end her season early. At 5:20, the big doe stopped 15 yards away and Heidi whacked her. She took off to the north and then headed off to the west. She got down about 20 minutes later, marked the blood trail and snuck back to the house. I was home watching our daughter Charley, so she took over on parent duty, and I went out to grab the camera chip to see if the Cuddeback captured the hit. Fortunately it did. See attached. The hit looked good, so I grabbed my head lamp and a lantern and got on the blood trail. I had steady blood all the way to the NW corner of our property and then I finally found her arrow. It looked like it had been in there long enough to do some damage. Dwayne joined me at dark and we followed her through about 50 yards of the beans and then she crawled under Arlie's fence to the north. We had trouble finding blood in the tall grass and with very little light. I decided to walk around a huge thicket. While I was about 20 yards from Dwayne, she got up reluctantly and struggled to run off to the west. I went in and found her bed (lots of blood), marked it with TP and we decided to back out of there. I came back the next morning, and got right on her blood trail. She ended up going about 50 more yards and died. Heidi's arrow had gotten through the chest cavity and nicked the heart. Congratulations on finishing your season so early on an awesome mature doe. I tagged the animal, cleaned her and dragged her back onto our property. Dwayne and Adam dragged her back to the shack for me after their morning hunt. Thanks boys. Totals: 4 deer. 3 does and 1 dawn. Doe dead!!

No comments: